Braddock Street United Methodist Church, one of the ten largest churches in the Virginia Conference and the largest in the Winchester District, began on July 5, 1858, when 32 persons withdrew from the Market Street Methodist Episcopal Church. The church’s name has changed several times. In 1939, the church became Braddock Street Methodist Church when the Methodist Episcopal, Methodist Episcopal South and Methodist Protestant Churches were unified. With the merger of the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church, it was called by its present name-Braddock Street United Methodist Church.
Increasing Sunday school sizes as well as pre-school and Parents Morning Out programs stretched the capacity of the Education Building. The new Braddock Center opened in January, 1994 at a cost of $2.9 million. This center added an Adult Care Center, infant and toddler care, the scout room, the chapel, the library, choir room, offices, adult Sunday school rooms, a kitchen and a fellowship hall/gymnasium-all enabling Braddock Street to reach out in faithful ministry to the community and beyond.
Three services are offered each Sunday where we can worship together. The 8:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. services are our traditional services, and we also offer a contemporary service at 9:45 a.m.
Special services are held throughout the year to highlight the seasons of the Christian Church, such as Christmas, Easter, Pentecost, and World Communion Sunday.
In the rare event that conditions make local travel hazardous and prevent us from gathering, please listen to 92.5 WINC-FM for service schedules.