Local Challenge Arts Grant
The Old Town Advancement Commission values the role of art in the community and seeks to foster art within Old Town Winchester. The OTAC has recommended the City apply yearly for a Virginia Commission for the Arts Local Challenge Grant of $5,000. The grant, if received, can be used to support art activities within the Old Town Winchester Special Assessment Districts with the exception of paying performers. When received a matching $5,000 is put forward from the Old Town budget for a total of $10,000. The City has been awarded a grant in the past and as recently as 2017. Previous recipients of the grant include First Night Winchester, Skyline Indie Film Festival, the Shenandoah Arts Council and Bluemont Concerts. For more information contact Old Town Winchester at (540)535-3660 or OTW@winchesterva.gov. To apply for the grant fill out and submit the Local Challenge Grant 2018 application by January 29, 2018.
- Proposed art activity must take place within the Primary or Secondary Assessment Districts in Old Town Winchester.
- Organization applying for funds must be a non-profit independent art organization.
- Grants are only awarded if the City of Winchester receives the Local Challenge Grant.
- The funds cannot be used to pay a performer for a specific performance; the funds must be spent between July 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019.
- November – Old Town Local Challenge Grant Application made available.
- January 29 – Submission deadline for Old Town Local Challenge Grant Applications.
- February/March – OTAC reviews and votes on the applications at the monthly board meeting in City Hall and makes recommendations to the City on grant recipients
- April 1- A Local Challenge Grant application is submitted by the City of Winchester to VCA based on OTAC recommendations on applicants.
- June – When the City Budget receives approval recipients will be notified of their status
- July – VCA notifies the City of Winchester whether they will receive a Local Challenge Grant
- July – Applicants are notified of the status of grant awards as soon as the City of Winchester is notified.
- August – December – If the grant is awarded, recipients may submit an invoice for granted funds.
- June 2019 – Recipients submit proof that the proposed activity occurred and that credit was given to VCA.
– Applicants will be asked to provide event/program information to show how the funds were used.
– Applicants will be asked to provide information to show how credit was given to VCA (ideally with use of the VCA logo).