Local Challenge Arts Grant
The Old Town Development Board values the role of art in the community and seeks to foster art within Old Town Winchester. The OTDB has recommended the City apply yearly for a Virginia Commission for the Arts Local Challenge Grant of $5,000. The grant, if received, can be used to support art activities within the Old Town Winchester Special Assessment Districts with the exception of paying performers. A matching $5,000 is put forward from the Old Town budget for a total of $10,000. The City has been awarded this grant in the past and as recently as 2016. Previous recipients of the grant include First Night Winchester, the Shenandoah Arts Council and Bluemont Concerts. For more information contact Old Town Winchester at (540)535-3660 or OTW@winchesterva.gov. To apply for the grant fill out and submit the Local Challenge Grant 2017 application by January 30, 2017.
- Proposed art activity must take place within the Primary or Secondary Assessment Districts in Old Town Winchester.
- Organization applying for funds must be a non-profit independent art organization.
- Grants are only awarded if the City of Winchester receives the Local Challenge Grant.
- The funds cannot be used to pay a performer for a specific performance; the funds must be spent between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018.
- January 6 – Local Challenge Grant Application made available.
- January 30 – Submission deadline for Local Challenge Grant Applications.
- February/March – OTDB reviews and votes on the application at the monthly board meeting in City Hall the first Thursday of the month at 5:30 p.m. and makes recommendations to the City on grant recipients
- April 1- A Local Challenge Grant application is submitted by the City of Winchester to VCA based on OTDB recommendations on applicants.
- June – When the City Budget receives approval recipients will be notified of their status
- July – VCA notifies the City of Winchester whether they will receive a Local Challenge Grant
- July – Applicants are notified of the status of grant awards as soon as the City of Winchester is notified.
- August – December – If the grant is awarded, recipients may submit an invoice for granted funds.
- June 2018 – Recipients submit proof of credit using appropriate logos and proof proposed activity occurred.
– Applicants will be asked to provide event/program information to show how the funds were used.